Saturday, January 21, 2012

EXHIBITION: Rosalind Nzinga Nichol at The Morris Museum

INSTALLATION: "Snowflakes" In Celebration of Random Order,  22' H  x 10' W
(Inspiration for my Keepsake this year......)
Art In The Atrium and The Morris Museum
Presented
The 20th ANNIVERSARY EXHIBIT
CELEBRATING OUR LEGACY

January 12 - March 18, 2012
featuring the work of Norman Lewis


As part of a twenty year celebration of New Jersey's oldest African American Fine Arts venue Art In The Atrium, mixed media papermaker Rosalind Nzinga Nichol is showing her first installation work entitled: "Snowflakes" In Celebration of Random Order. The snowflakes range is size from 12" to 6' and are all constructed of poured pulp, through the artist's own unique process. In Rosalind's words:

...I see in snowflakes a reflection of all nature. How, in the midst of chaos and disarray (indiscriminate design) there is unity - a random order. Like the seemingly chance events that lead to me to Kusadasi, Turkey this past summer. Where I was given the wild unraveled silk cocoon threads used to complete these structures, that had been floating in my head for months before hand... Even what happened that day, to make my mother tell me the story of the red boots I had as a child and had long since forgotten... Affirming in me an independence I somehow knew was always there.

This installation is dedicated to my mother Esther Marie, now in the midst of her own personal chaos. ...A woman who never meets a stranger. Always made sure I was surrounded with love -- and ART SUPPLIES! Who allowed me to wear my first pair of red cowgirl boots 'til they literally fell off my feet. A real beauty inside and out, she single handedly strapped on my wings and told me I could FLY! ...Today, I celebrate it all.

For more information about the exhibit and lecture series:

Morris Museum | 6 Normandy Heights Road
Morristown, NJ 07960 | Phone: 973.971.3700
E-mail: info@morrismuseum.org

No comments: